Regional Local Government Workshop
In an effort to support local government training and education, G/FLRPC along with many co-sponsors has presented the Regional Local Government Workshop series twice a year beginning back in 1996. For more information about a current or recent workshop, please click on the corresponding link below.
Fall 2020 Regional Local Government Workshop Sessions.
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all sessions will be held virtually. Stay tuned for additional sessions which will be scheduled throughout this winter.
Clean Energy Communities Sessions:
- 11/16 | 1:00pm - 2:00pm. New 94-C Renewables Permitting Law and Utility-Scale Solar: Key Takeaways for NYS Municipalities. The Newly Released Regulations and Uniform Standards and Conditions are designed to implement the law passed in April, 2020. Presented by United Solar Energy Supporters, Dwight Kanyuck, Knauf Shaw, and Kathy Spencer, LaBella Assoc.
- 11/17 |12:00pm - 1:00pm. Community-wide Solar and Savings. Community Choice Aggregation can be utilized to provide solar and save money for entire communities through community solar with an opt-out mechanism. Presented by Ben Frevert, PE and Susan Hughes-Smith, Roctricity.
- 11/18 | 12:30pm - 1:30pm. Clean Energy Communities: How our Region has Evolved through CEC. Presented by Haylee Ferington. AND Rochester People's Climate Coalition Conversation on the Barriers and Opportunities for Sustainable Developments Presented by Kristen Van Hooreweghe.
- 11/19 | 11:30am - 12:30pm. How to Electrify Your Fleet: This workshop examines the necessary steps an organization should take to begin an electrification program for its fleet vehicles. This includes setting goals, developing a project budget and schedule as well as stakeholder engagement. It will also focus on the specifics of infrastructure development and electric vehicle acquisition. It will also address project evaluation and reporting. Presented by Michael Moser, EV Charge Solutions and David Keefe, Greater Rochester Clean Cities.
For more information about the Clean Energy Communities Sessions, please contact Haylee Ferington: email@example.com or 585-454-0190
Water Resources and Land Use Sessions:
- 11/9 | 11:00am - 12:00pm. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers: Regulatory 101. An overview for local governments on what and how the Corps regulates with regard to waterways. Presented by Mikhail A. Boutsko, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Buffalo office.
- 11/10 | 4:00pm - 5:00pm. Non-Structural Floodproofing Techniques. A review of the various non-structural floodproofing techniques which are available to homeowners and businesses. Presented by Christina Rasmussen, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Buffalo office.
- 11/23 | 4:00pm - 6:00pm. Zoning Board of Appeals Overview. This introductory course to the zoning board of appeals focuses on the statutory tests boards must follow to grant use and area variances and proper handling of zoning interpretations. Meeting procedures and notice requirements will also be discussed, along with the ZBA’s relationship with enforcement officials and the planning board, and the importance of making good findings. Presented by Christopher Eastman, Paula Gilbert, and others from the New York State Department of State.
For more information about the Water Resources and Land Use Sessions or general questions about the Local Government Workshop and other training opportunities, please contact Jason Haremza: firstname.lastname@example.org or 585-454-0190
Additional trainings can be found through our partners. Monroe County has an online land use decision making training program this fall. For more information, go here. New York State Department of State has indicated a Winter/Spring 2021 training schedule is being planned.
- Spring 2020 Regional Local Government Workshop - May 15, 2020, Burgundy Basin Inn, Pittsford, NY - CANCELLED
- Fall 2019 Regional Local Government Workshop - November 15, 2019, Quality Inn & Suites, Batavia, NY